Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice out of India used to detox and rejuvenate the body. It involves the process of swishing oil (high quality, unrefined) in your mouth for about 5-20 minutes and is generally used with coconut, sunflower, or sesame oil.
The Benefits of Oil Pulling
- Removes toxins and harmful bacteria from mouth, gums, teeth, and body
- Helps relieve congestion in the sinuses and throat
- Helps to strengthen gums and whiten teeth
- Helps fight off infection
- Helps clear up the skin
- Also helps with a variety of issues like: headaches, congestion, asthma, bronchitis, allergies, eczema, heart disease, insomnia, back pain, and more
- Generally very safe and simple practice
How to Oil Pull
1. Take 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of oil of your choosing (coconut, sunflower, or sesame)
2. Swish the oil in your mouth for about 5-20 minutes. If you’re new to oil pulling, start off with about 5-10 minutes to get used to the process
3. Make sure not to gargle or swallow the oil as it has many toxins
5. Once you’re done swishing the oil, spit it out in the sink and rinse out your mouth with water or apple cider vinegar
Some Points to Consider
- Try to do oil pulling on an empty stomach in the early morning before drinking any water. Or wait at least 4 hours after you eat.
- Try using cold pressed oil
- Do not swallow as the oil is mixed with bacteria and toxins. If you do, don’t sweat it. It will be eliminated by your body
About Courtney Cherae: Founder, Holistic Health Coach, Energy Healer, and Herbalist
I’m here to support your healing needs whether it’s through health coaching, energy healing, or herb-crafting. I’ve studied at the very awesome Institute for Integrative Nutrition where I studied over 100 dietary theories, lifestyle management concepts, and holistic health practices. I’ve also obtained my Master Usui Reiki certification from Karen Hutchins of Cicada Recovery Services in Austin, Texas. I spend a lot of my time outdoors with the plant world and working on herb crafting (teas, tinctures, herbal remedies, etc.). Please let me know how I can assist you on your healing journey! You can email me directly at email@example.com or schedule your free consultation here.